From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 23:05:05
1 On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:22:36PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
2 > On 24/04/2013 11:37, Philip Webb wrote:
3 > > 130424 Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > >>> 130423 Philip Webb hadn't read any horror stories re Reiser 3 :
5 > >> Where have you been for the last ten years?
6 > >
7 > > Reading this list & various Linux news sites.
8 > >
9 > >> A quick search of this list's archives will reveal several.
10 > >
11 > > If it's so easy, please point me to a couple (smile).
12 > >
13 > > The only one mentioned in this thread so far
14 > > is a strange case of trying to use a RF image on a RF,
15 > > which most users will never have any occasion to encounter.
18 > It /used to be/ rare.
19 >
20 > But ever since vmware-workstation has been around and available
21 > to Linux users, it has become a much more serious issue at large,
22 > and you need to be aware of it.
23 >
24 > It's one of those issues that is not immediately obvious, where
25 > overlooking it is not a classic screwup and where it can bite you
26 > hard if you are not careful. We can't blame any of the software for
27 > this, it's just a side effect of the way things are nowadays
28
29 I don't know if it's configurable somewhere, but I vaguely recall
30 seeing an occasional bootup where I get a message about the system
31 having gone more than X days without being fsck'd. So it helpfully
32 does it for me automatically and then does a regular reboot. I don't
33 know if it's for the 200 megabyte ext2 / or the huge ReiserFS3 /home
34 partition.
37 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
38 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications