From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: USB crucial file recovery
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 22:06:05
1 Am Tue, 30 Aug 2016 22:27:46 +0200
2 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>:
3
4 > Am 30.08.2016 um 21:14 schrieb J. Roeleveld:
5 > > On August 30, 2016 8:58:17 PM GMT+02:00, Volker Armin Hemmann
6 > > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 > >> Am 30.08.2016 um 20:12 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
8 > [...]
9 > [...]
10 > [...]
11 > >> first
12 > [...]
13 > [...]
14 > >> includes
15 > [...]
16 > [...]
17 > [...]
18 > [...]
19 > >> because exfat does not work across gentoo systems. ext2 does.
20 > > Exfat works when the drivers are installed.
21 > > Same goes for ext2.
22 > >
23 > > It is possible to not have support for ext2/3 or 4 and still have a
24 > > fully functional system. (Btrfs or zfs for the full system for
25 > > instance)
26 > >
27 > > When using UEFI boot, a vfat partition with support is required.
28 > >
29 > > --
30 > > Joost
31 >
32 > ext2 is on every system
33
34 Not on mine...
35
36 > , exfat not. ext2 is very stable, tested and
37 > well aged. exfat is some fuse something crap. New, hardly tested and
38 > unstable as it gets.
39 >
40 > And why use exfat if you use linux? It is just not needed at all.
41
42 I consider ext2 not suitable for USB drives because it has no journal
43 and can break horribly if accidentally removed without unmounting (or
44 pulling before everything was written).
45
46 OTOH, I recommend against using filesystems with a fixed journal area
47 on thumb drives. Some may be optimized for NTFS usage.
48
49 A log structured filesystem (like f2fs, nilfs2) or one with wandering
50 journals (like reiserfs) may be best - tho I cannot speak for them
51 regarding accidental disconnects without unmounting first. One should
52 test it. Reiserfs3 worked very well for me, much better than ext[23],
53 when I once had to fight with a failing RAID controller (it just went
54 offline). All reiserfs could be recovered by fsck, only a few files had
55 wrong checksums, a few were missing - that system (different hardware
56 of course) is still in use today but converted over to xfs because
57 reiserfs is a really bad performer for parallel access. Ext[23] was
58 totally borked, fsck had no chance to recover anything. I'd consider
59 reiserfs3 mature.
60
61 Personally, I tend to using f2fs on thumb drives. Nilfs2 may be an
62 option, too. But I never used that. I have no experience with f2fs on
63 failing hardware, tho. But in the end: thumb drives aren't for
64 important data anyway. So what counts is getting the best life time out
65 of them.
68 Regards,
69 Kai
70