From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel does not boot after adding a new SATA drive
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 21:05:53
1 2016-09-06 22:54 GMT+03:00 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
2 > On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 21:38:07 +0300, gevisz wrote:
3 >
4 >> > It sounds like you are specifying the root device by device node and
5 >> > those have changed with the addition of a new drive. Using UUID or
6 >> > LABEL will avoid this problem.
7 >>
8 >> Thank you for the prompt reply!
9 >>
10 >> In my fstab, all the old drives are specified by UUID.
11 >> And the new one does not have UUID yet.
12 >>
13 >> But it seems that GRUB does not read fstab... :(
14 >
15 > It does not, because it has not loaded the kernel yet, so it cannot do
16 > anything on the system.
17
18 Oh, poor little Grand Unified Boot Loader!
19
20 It cannot do anything! Even to read fstab by its grub-mkconfig script!
21
22 P.S. I usually run grub-mkconfig when kernel is already loaded!
23 And in my fstab all the disks are refered by UUID!
24
25 >> Where else should I specify them?
26 >
27 > grub.cfg in the kernel options.
28 >
29 >> Do you think that running
30 >> # grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
31 >> with a new drive connected will be enough?
32 >
33 > grub-mkconfig should use UUIDs by default, unless you have uncommented
34 >
35 > #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true
36
37 I did not. So, it is a bug in a almighty Grand Unified Boot Loader!
38
39 > in /etc/default/grub
42 > --
43 > Neil Bothwick
44 >
45 > Top Oxymorons Number 8: Tight slacks