From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel does not boot after adding a new SATA drive
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 21:32:54
1 On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 00:05:32 +0300, gevisz wrote:
2
3 > >> But it seems that GRUB does not read fstab... :(
4 > >
5 > > It does not, because it has not loaded the kernel yet, so it cannot do
6 > > anything on the system.
7 >
8 > Oh, poor little Grand Unified Boot Loader!
9 >
10 > It cannot do anything! Even to read fstab by its grub-mkconfig script!
11
12 We were talking about GRUB the bootloader, not grub-mkconfig the Linux
13 program to write grub.cfg. As you were asking whether you should run
14 grub-mkconfig again, it seems reasonable to assume that you haven't run
15 it since adding the disk, not that it should make a difference.
16
17 > P.S. I usually run grub-mkconfig when kernel is already loaded!
18 > And in my fstab all the disks are refered by UUID!
21 grub-mkconfig doesn't care about the fstab of the running distro since it
22 scans your drives for all operating systems it can boot.
23
24 Either look in grub.cfg to see what it going on or post it here along
25 with the exact error messages so others may try for you.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Too many clicks spoil the browse.