From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running HTTP and DNS on same machine
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 00:42:46
1 On 8/17/2011 5:18 PM, Adam Carter wrote:
2 >> Just to counter all of the scary stories,
3 >
4 > Yeah, i'd like to counter too. While the implications of getting it
5 > wrong are serious, technically its quite simple. I run my own DNS, and
6 > use a couple of free secondaries (http://www.twisted4life.com and
7 > http://www.everydns.net).
8 >
9 > The upsides of running your own DNS is that you learn the ins and
10 > outs. So, if the DNS is for business that will loose money if you
11 > stuff it up, then i'll tend to agree with the naysayers, but if its a
12 > home domain then go ahead. And if you don't have a home domain, get
13 > one as a learning exercise and once you're mastered that you can
14 > re-consider if you want to move the business domain.
15
16 Alan and I would have had a vastly different take on this if it had
17 been phrased as "I want to setup DNS at home for learning and
18 convenience." Instead the email in my mind read as, "I'd like to
19 introduce a single point of failure into my system and I'd like to do it
20 with something I don't fully understand to boot."
21
22 Yes, I have a rich and cynical inner monologue. This is well known.
23
24 That said if you want to setup Bind (which I prefer) the Gentoo wiki
25 has a decent how-to. I wrote the original incarnation 7-8 years ago and
26 people have kept it updated. It looks mostly correct though I can see a
27 few places where it needs some clean up. Even with the cruft it is light
28 years ahead of the official Gentoo Bind doc and includes a number of
29 config entries to make troubleshooting and running ISP type name servers
30 easier and safer.
31
32 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/BIND
33