From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running HTTP and DNS on same machine
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 00:19:48
1 > Just to counter all of the scary stories,
2
3 Yeah, i'd like to counter too. While the implications of getting it
4 wrong are serious, technically its quite simple. I run my own DNS, and
5 use a couple of free secondaries (http://www.twisted4life.com and
6 http://www.everydns.net).
7
8 The upsides of running your own DNS is that you learn the ins and
9 outs. So, if the DNS is for business that will loose money if you
10 stuff it up, then i'll tend to agree with the naysayers, but if its a
11 home domain then go ahead. And if you don't have a home domain, get
12 one as a learning exercise and once you're mastered that you can
13 re-consider if you want to move the business domain.
14
15 Re: choice of server, I chose BIND as its what the companies I have
16 worked at use, both ISC BIND and QIP's port of it. djbdns may be
17 technically superior (eg code separation into different binaries) but
18 its not as if BIND is very problematic these days. I havent bothered
19 with chrooting BIND for a long time, but that's only on internal only
20 DNS or my home DNS. For business internet facing DNS I probably still
21 would, or use something more modern like Solaris sparse zones.