From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ALSA: All modules loaded, mixer unmuted, still no sound
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 05:06:51
1 On Sunday 26 February 2006 22:46, Zac Slade <krakrjak@××××××××××.net> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] ALSA: All modules loaded, mixer unmuted, still no
3 sound':
4 > On Sunday 26 February 2006 22:17, Ducky Z. wrote:
5 > > I'm using the modules provided by the kernel, which is 2.6.15.
6 > > alsa-lib is 1.0.10.
7 >
8 > This should be fine.
9
10 Hrm, is alsa-lib 1.0 backwards compatible to 0.9? 'Cause the kernel
11 shipped with 0.9 support for a while and my kernel now has to have an
12 option to provide the 0.9 abi/api.
13
14 You could try either upgrading your kernel or downgrading your alsa-lib.
15 Or, you could abandon the kernel-provide modules and use alsa-drivers.
16
17 > > When I aplay a file, it shows:
18 > >
19 > > ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:900:(snd_pcm_direct_initialize_slave) unable to
20 > > install hw params
21 > > ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:831:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to initialize slave
22 > > aplay: main:544: audio open error: Inappropriate ioctl for device
23 >
24 > Hrm.... Is this being done as root? I think your /etc/asound.conf file
25 > might need some help. I'm not sure here, but it might not be able to
26 > play because the wrong information is in the asound.conf file.
27
28 Yeah, try as root and if that works, check permissions on stuff
29 in /dev/sound.
30
31 If you can get the 1.0 alsa-lib to work with your kernel, you can probably
32 blow away your asound.conf file anyway. The move to 1.0 made dmix
33 automatic for devices that don't do hw mixing.
36 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
37 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
38 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
39 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list