From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Intel Core Duo Processor - Anyone?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 01:14:16
1 On 3/29/06, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 3/29/06, Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Great for you. However, if you got a laptop for non-work use
4 > > (personal, communications, mobile DVD viewing, &c) would you rather
5 > > get the massive 9 pound thing you use at work, or a nice small 14"
6 > > portable?
7 >
8 > Even this is a tough decision for me...I do occasionally like to watch
9 > DVDs on my laptop, even when I am at home, because at arms length my
10 > screen takes up more of my visual field than my 65" TV across the
11 > room! There is just something about that that makes me smile...
12
13 Yeah, even with my amazing 12.1" "Theatre-in-a-clamshell" display it
14 takes up more of my field of view than anything other than my dad's
15 massive 51" DLP HDTV (1080i, I hope to plug my hilariously overpowered
16 graphics card into it someday!)
17
18 > Probably the same smile you get after you panic because you think you
19 > forgot your laptop, and then realize it is on your shoulder...
20
21 Yup! What really puts it into perspective is the X4 Ultrabase dock
22 that I use. When I take it with me (when I know I'll need it -
23 otherwise it sits next to the Athlon64) I can really feel the extra
24 1.1lbs. It's more noticeable than you would think, for those of you
25 who never owned a laptop.
26
27 > > Before I forget: I lied. I doublechecked the #s and my X40 is really
28 > > 2.7 lbs. Srry... won't let it happen again ; )
29 >
30 > Thank goodness for competition and market analysis....we both get
31 > laptops that we are really happy with, and that work well for us!
32
33 Yup. Thank God for lassiz-faire, or you we would both have laptops
34 (if we were lucky) that would be the best for us - according to what
35 the state says is the best for us : (
36
37 > Anyway my advice to people is to figure out what your needs are and
38 > buy the best laptop you can afford that comes as close to those needs
39 > as possible. Bigger is not always better. Neither is smaller.
40
41 I love consulting on these things. Just email me - I'm totally
42 neurotic about making sure you find what you need and not what they
43 say you need (which also just so happens to be the most expensive item
44 on their list... what are the chances of that?)
48 GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
49 L++ E--- W+(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O? M+
50 V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
51 DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
52 ========= END GCv3.12 ========
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list