From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: problem with emerge depclean after world update
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 14:18:12
1 On 2022-09-30, Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > Does that mean an update typically cleans a replaced package
4 > automagically?
5
6 Yes (except for slotted packages). A "normal" upgrade emerge removes
7 the old version.
8
9 > I thought that usually they got left behind and that was
10 > why you needed depclean - to remove all the old versions?
11
12 Nope (except sometimes for slotted packages).
13
14 Depclean is for clearing out stuff that was installed automagically as
15 a dependancy but now doesn't need to be installed at all because
16
17 1. Whataver pulled it in as dependency got manually removed.
18
19 2. A package's dependencies got changed.
20
21 > Certainly that's what I remember of depclean of old - the list of stuff
22 > being cleaned was mostly old versions of what was installed.
23
24 That happens for slotted packages and for things like kernel sources.
25
26 On my systems, the only things that typically get removed by depclean
27 are old versions of gentoo-sources and the occasional old slot of
28 binutils (or whatever).
31 Grant