From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem with emerge depclean after world update
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 20:27:25
1 On 30/09/2022 20:46, Matt Connell wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2022-09-30 at 20:36 +0100, Wol wrote:
3 >> I've noticed that --depclean hardly seems to be cleaning anything out
4 >> now. Despite regular emerge updates. I do an emerge update world every
5 >> week, followed immediately by a depclean, but it's probably cleaned
6 >> maybe one or two packages in the last month? Despite updating loads? Is
7 >> that normal?
8 >
9 > Unless the dependencies of a package change (or you changed the
10 > resulting set of dependencies via USE changes), they aren't usually a
11 > whole lot of deps to clean. That's my experience anyway. When I'm
12 > flailing around a lot in package.use I'll have dozens but otherwise its
13 > usually just one or two here and there.
14 >
15 Does that mean an update typically cleans a replaced package
16 automagically? I thought that usually they got left behind and that was
17 why you needed depclean - to remove all the old versions?
18
19 Certainly that's what I remember of depclean of old - the list of stuff
20 being cleaned was mostly old versions of what was installed.
21
22 Cheers,
23 Wol