From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] All Gentoo signing key expired and no way to fix it
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 23:58:34
1 On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 5:39 PM gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > 2018-07-03 16:22 GMT+03:00 Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>:
5 >> If you use su, you should be using "su -" (or "su -l" or "su --login"),
6 >> not "su".
7 >
8 > I have used only "su" for already 3 years, since switched to Gentoo
9 > from Ubuntu and never had any problems with it.
10 >
11 > Could you explain a little bit more why "su -" should be used instead.
12 >
13 > From the man page I've got the following:
14 >
15 > -, -l, --login
16 > Provide an environment similar to what the user would expect had
17 > the user logged in directly.
18 >
19 > But I cannot see why I need the original root environment,
20 > especially if I never set it up.
21
22 It's more to protect from user envvars leaking into root's
23 environment. That's why "service(8)" resets the environment (and then
24 sets some, like PATH) on Linux and {Free,Net}BSD.
25
26 I've seen a daemon log in german because a colleague simply used "su"
27 to restart it (without using "service").
30 >> If you use sudo, you might need to pass -i (--login) option to it.
31 >
32 > I hate using sudo since I have been forced to use it in Ubuntu.
33
34 Ubuntu defaults to "sudo" but doesn't force you to use it! If you
35 prefer "su", set a root password.