From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] All Gentoo signing key expired and no way to fix it
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2018 17:38:42
1 2018-07-03 16:22 GMT+03:00 Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>:
2 > Ühel kenal päeval, T, 03.07.2018 kell 14:00, kirjutas gevisz:
3 >> Are you, by any chance, running this command through something like
4 >> > lxc-attach or ssh?
5 >> > I had the exact same problem two days ago and it turned out to be
6 >> > something about the
7 >> > environment being passed to the remote system. Sourcing
8 >> > /etc/profile did the trick.
9 >>
10 >> No, I do it on my desktop staying just in front of me.
11 >> So, no need for ssh (and I do not know what lxc-attach is at all).
12 >>
13 >> Still, sourcing /etc/profile somehow helped:
14 >
15 > How do you obtain root privileges for the command?
16
17 su
18
19 > If you use su, you should be using "su -" (or "su -l" or "su --login"),
20 > not "su".
21
22 I have used only "su" for already 3 years, since switched to Gentoo
23 from Ubuntu and never had any problems with it.
24
25 Could you explain a little bit more why "su -" should be used instead.
26
27 From the man page I've got the following:
28
29 -, -l, --login
30 Provide an environment similar to what the user would expect had
31 the user logged in directly.
32
33 But I cannot see why I need the original root environment,
34 especially if I never set it up.
35
36 > If you use sudo, you might need to pass -i (--login) option to it.
37
38 I hate using sudo since I have been forced to use it in Ubuntu.