From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Sending notification to user@host in LAN
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:26:32
1 Hi there!
2
3 I'm loooking for a method to send a message to another user on another host
4 in my LAN. Something like, um, NET SEND does under Windows. A window should
5 open, displaying the message, nothing more is needed.
6
7 The purpose is to inform me or other people in the house about incoming
8 phone calls. At the moment I just set the DISPLAY variable and open an
9 xterm displaying the message, but that involves using xhost, and is not
10 that sophisticated. KDE can be assumed to be running on all the systems.
11
12 There is the Winpopup plugin for kopete
13 (<http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=Kopete+Winpopup>), which
14 makes it respond to messages sent via NET SEND from a Windows host, or
15 smbclient -M from a linux host. But it does not seem to be enabled by
16 default. kopete has a use flag (winpopup), but I am using monolithic
17 ebuilds, and kdenetwork does not know about it. Could this be a bug to
18 report?
19 Anyway, there would be some more problems with that. smbclient -M takes a
20 few seconds until it sends, I would need to find the cause first. And I
21 assume that kopete would display a little notification in the taskbar
22 first, which must be clicked at, while I want a window to open immediately.
23
24 Any ideas? It's not that important, but I thought I'd ask, maybe someone
25 knows a cool solution. If not, I will write a little daemon script, waiting
26 for a message file arriving in a shared directory, and displaying it in an
27 xterm. This way I avoid the use of xhost.
28
29 Alex
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list