From: billyd <billydw@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia-drivers and revdep-rebuild problems
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 15:45:38
1 > On Monday 24 July 2006 00:41, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > > 060723 billydw wrote:
3 > > > I am pretty much a Gentoo newbie, but less so with linux.
4 > > > I have successfully installed Gentoo 2006.0
5 > > > from the Universal Install CD (amd64 arch).
6 > > > I have Xorg-x11 7.0 emerged and I think configured correctly -
7 > > > no unresolved EEs or WWs in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
8 > > > Using "startx" brings up twm and it looks fine.
9 > > > I first emerged nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel.
10 > > > While running # revdep-rebuild, I get this message:
11 >
12 > For the Nvidia card I have I had to go to Nidiias web site and download the
13 > driver from there to get it to work. after I ran the file from Nvidia mt
14 > Card works fine even in dual mode ( tv , CRT).
18 > rob
19 Thanks to all those who tried to help with this issue. Being kind of a Gentoo
20 newbie and not a programmer or developer, I am not sure what the problem
21 could be. I have tried this on two different computers and always get the
22 same result. Since everything seems to work except for the recurring
23 revdep-rebuild issue, I am choosing to ignore it at this time.
24
25 I did look into the drivers on the nVidia web site per rob's suggestion. The
26 extensive install notes showed me a possible solution. It involves checking
27 for conflicting libraries and/or symlinks. Sounds like it could be what I am
28 experiencing. I will experiment with that although I am not sure I will know
29 what I am doing. No matter though. I am retired and am experimenting with
30 Genoo on "testing" machines, so it doesn't really matter if I break
31 something. I have learned a lot about Gentoo this way and I am getting
32 better with it.
33
34 I was thinking someone else may have experienced the same problem and had
35 found the solution.
36
37 Thanks, all! I will keep my eyes on the gentoo-user list. If I succeed in
38 solving this issue, I will let you all know.
39
40 Bill
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list