From: thegeezer@×××××××××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Small computing recommendations?
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 15:06:24
1 On 2016-10-12 13:16, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 12/10/2016 13:56, Daniel Campbell wrote:
3 >> My birthday's coming up in 10 days and my SO and others are wanting to
4 >> know what to get me for my birthday. I'm slowly growing tired of
5 >> trying
6 >> to keep my desktop Gentoo machine lightweight and "clean", so it'd be
7 >> fun to hack on a little computer that I could possibly DIY a case or
8 >> other arrangement for. Maybe a file/web server, or a "freetoo" machine
9 >> where I can experiment with being rigidly FSF-APPROVED or other fun
10 >> shenanigans.
11 >>
12 >> I've looked around at the Raspberry Pi 3, the Pocket CHIP (I also have
13 >> PICO-8 and am hacking something for it), the Pi Zero, and have heard
14 >> about the Beaglebone and Arduino, though isn't the latter meant for
15 >> more
16 >> interactive or robotic thing due to the large array of IO pins?
17 >>
18 >> If I had the right tools or gadgets, creating my own UMPC would be
19 >> really fun.
20 >>
21 >> At a minimum, I would prefer HDMI instead of composite or VGA, though
22 >> it
23 >> could be headless and I just use SSH or an Adafruit LCD.
24 >>
25 >> Any opinions or use cases and stories would be much appreciated. I
26 >> would
27 >> prefer running Gentoo on it, but Debian, Mint, or Slackware would be
28 >> tolerable.
32 > Those devices are dirt cheap, ask for one of each :-)
33
34 Seconded :)
35 here are my 2c on my two experiences
36
37 Raspberry Pi
38 great to play with Gentoo ARM, runs well until you do anything related
39 to IO. Really well in fact, so that when you do do anything to save a
40 file or emerge (yes you can but i really wouldn't recommend it) it takes
41 you by surprise how bad it is. Also be aware of USB power draw and
42 reboots if you can't supply power well enough for all devices! is more
43 of a "computer" in the traditional sense.
44
45 Arduino
46 I really like the Arduino from a programmatic automation point of view
47 as the inputs and single threaded C program make sense to me, and in
48 my own simple way of viewing things, things like nest.com are more easy
49 to do via Arduino than Pi. is more of a microcontroller than a computer
50
51 Final thoughts
52 get them all, they are so cheap. the addons are what make them though
53 -- wifi shields or movement sensors etc, otherwise they are just a piece
54 of compute. you may find a Pi controller controlling arduino leads
55 you to a new form of robotics and the limits are your imagination
56
57 but if you are looking for a linux box to play with i would suggest
58 Intel Atom based Jetway mini-atx with the daughterboards that let you
59 have multi-nic or multi-sata
60 they are fast enough to keep up to date without needed distcc and
61 feature rich enough that you can build your own SAN or build your own
62 router etc