From: Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Xwindows stopped working. No errors in Xorg log file.
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:31:38
1 I tried to switch my window manager to Gnome and also XFCE (both worked fine
2 before too) and that didn't solve the problem, so I don't think it's a KDE
3 thing. But I have had KDE problems before as you suggest with other nvidia
4 drivers.
5
6 > -----Original Message-----
7 > From: Richard Fish [mailto:bigfish@××××××××××.org]
8 > Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 10:18 PM
9 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
10 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xwindows stopped working. No
11 > errors in Xorg log file.
12 >
13 > Daevid Vincent wrote:
14 >
15 > >I run a pretty stable system. I do however run ~x86 for KDE
16 > and Gnome.
17 > >Something changed recently in an "emerge -Davu world" or
18 > "system" that
19 > >causes X to not start anymore? The Xorg log below doesn't
20 > have any errors or
21 > >warnings or anything. There are no unresolved symbols as the
22 > message says. I
23 > >did notice that glib was updated, but the
24 > "3242-glibc-2.3.5.log" doesn't say
25 > >anything interesting. I ran "rm -rf /root/.revdep-rebuild.*;
26 > revdep-rebuild
27 > >-av" and that said I was golden, it didn't re-compile a
28 > single thing.
32 > One of the things we just discovered on this list is that
33 > newer versions
34 > of KDE are trying to use things like the Composite extension,
35 > and it is
36 > causing problems for some people (slowness was the previous case).
37 >
38 > Some things to try:
39 >
40 > 1. Disable Composite.
41 > 2. Disable DRI.
42 > 3. Try the x.org "nv" driver instead of "nvidia".
43 >
44 > Depending upon whether and which one of those work, you will have a
45 > place to start from on more debugging.
46 >
47 > -Richard
50 > >I usually use 'meld' (x-windows) for my etc-update, so I do
51 > have some files
52 > >that need updating, but they don't seem that they should affect X??
57 > Probably not...more likely opengl or composite is causing the
58 > problem for X.
61 > -Richard
62 >
63 > --