From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: purchasing a dell laptop
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 17:10:20
1 On Sun, Jun 21 2015, James wrote:
2
3 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 >
5 >> Allan Gottlieb writes:
6 >>
7 >> > The hardest decision is size vs performance, but I know you can't help
8 >
9 > Maybe, maybe not.
10
11 Perhaps I was unclear. I simply meant that clearly higher performance
12 is better and so is a smaller/lighter laptop. The trade-off seems to be
13 a matter for personal preference.
14
15 >> > 1. Graphics.
16 >> > I can afford a high-end graphics co-processor, but prefer the
17 >> > software/administrative simplicity of intel graphics. I do not
18 >> > play high speed games or otherwise run graphics intensive
19 >> > applications. Am I correct in believing that Linux (the kernel)
20 >> > supports (the dell option)
21 >> > Intel Core i7-5600U Processor, UMA graphics, Smart Card
22 >> > directly with no extra gentoo package needed?
23 >
24 > Cuda on nvidia is well seasoned, but expensive. Gentoo distros such as
25 > Pentoo, use cuda for smokin fast passwd cracking. Many/most apps
26 > will benefit, in the near future, with the deployment of GCC-5.x as RDMA via
27 > gcc% will allow for using that smoking GPU (a simd processor) and the DDR5
28 > ram as if it was part of the CPU/ram resources. If you read up on all the
29 > advances with GCC 5 you will see most gpu (amd, Intel etc) will/should be
30 > supported. How long for stabilization, is unknown, at this time. But
31 > for very few dollars it's the biggest thing to hit hardware, since the FPU
32 > was integrated onto the same die, imho. YMMV.
33 >
34 > Check whatever GPU you select for the amount of its own (discrete) DDR5
35 > memory on the GPU (card).
36 >
37 >> So on the whole, my experience with higher-end Dell is that hardware is
38 >> pretty much well-supported across the boards with very few gotchas. The
39 >> only two exceptions would be wifi cards (cheap to fix) and maybe GPU
40 >> co-processor (if you are unlucky to get an unsupported cutting edge one
41 >> and need to wait a bit for Linux support to catch up).
42 >
43 > I'd check around on the precise details of the GPU before purchase.
44 > Some GPU use the general system ram, and that is a severe
45 > (buss-bandwidth) bottleneck that really dampens performance on many
46 > softwares. The looming gcc-5 is a game changer on using video
47 > resources, as general system resources...
48
49 I doubt that gcc 5 (or 6) will extract much parallelism that Cuda can
50 exploit for my primary use cases: compiling (largely gentoo) sources and
51 running emacs.
52
53 I have learned that the high end graphic coprocessors (or GPUs as they
54 are now called) carry a significant administrative overhead, at least
55 for gentoo.
56
57 Thanks for responding,
58 allan