From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: purchasing a dell laptop
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 21:14:32
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > The hardest decision is size vs performance, but I know you can't help
5
6 Maybe, maybe not.
7
8 > > I will definitely get
9 > > * 16GB ram (2 x 8GB)
10 > > * 512GB solid state disk
11 > > * most powerful CPU compatible with the options chosen
12
13 > > 1. Graphics.
14 > > I can afford a high-end graphics co-processor, but prefer the
15 > > software/administrative simplicity of intel graphics. I do not
16 > > play high speed games or otherwise run graphics intensive
17 > > applications. Am I correct in believing that Linux (the kernel)
18 > > supports (the dell option)
19 > > Intel Core i7-5600U Processor, UMA graphics, Smart Card
20 > > directly with no extra gentoo package needed?
21
22 Cuda on nvidia is well seasoned, but expensive. Gentoo distros such as
23 Pentoo, use cuda for smokin fast passwd cracking. Many/most apps
24 will benefit, in the near future, with the deployment of GCC-5.x as RDMA via
25 gcc% will allow for using that smoking GPU (a simd processor) and the DDR5
26 ram as if it was part of the CPU/ram resources. If you read up on all the
27 advances with GCC 5 you will see most gpu (amd, Intel etc) will/should be
28 supported. How long for stabilization, is unknown, at this time. But
29 for very few dollars it's the biggest thing to hit hardware, since the FPU
30 was integrated onto the same die, imho. YMMV.
33 > All Intel cards I've ever seen are supported. My current machine has an
34 > AMD co-card, the one before a Nvidia co-card. Both times I just used the
35 > Intel hardware, it does everything I need.
36
37 Check whatever GPU you select for the amount of its own (discrete) DDR5
38 memory on the GPU (card).
39
40 > So on the whole, my experience with higher-end Dell is that hardware is
41 > pretty much well-supported across the boards with very few gotchas. The
42 > only two exceptions would be wifi cards (cheap to fix) and maybe GPU
43 > co-processor (if you are unlucky to get an unsupported cutting edge one
44 > and need to wait a bit for Linux support to catch up).
45
46 I'd check around on the precise details of the GPU before purchase.
47 Some GPU use the general system ram, and that is a severe (buss-bandwidth)
48 bottleneck that really dampens performance on many softwares. The looming
49 gcc-5 is a game changer on using video resources, as general system resources...
50
51 hth,
52 James