From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] purchasing a dell laptop
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 19:30:32
1 On 21/06/2015 21:16, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > I am seriously thinking of updating my dell 6430s laptop purchased 3
3 > years ago. NYU has an arrangement with dell so that is the only maker
4 > I am considering. This machine will be essentially gentoo only (I
5 > configure my computers to dual boot some version of windows for ease
6 > in dealing with dell support).
7 >
8 > The hardest decision is size vs performance, but I know you can't help
9 > with that. I have pretty much decided on the dell 7450. My questions
10 > concern three options: Graphics, Wireless, Screen. But would appreciate
11 > any other advice you have.
12
13 I've used nothing bur Dell laptops for 10 years (currently on #5), and
14 I've yet to run into any hardware support issues.
17 > I will definitely get
18 > * 16GB ram (2 x 8GB)
19 > * 512GB solid state disk
20 > * most powerful CPU compatible with the options chosen
21 >
22 > 1. Graphics.
23 > I can afford a high-end graphics co-processor, but prefer the
24 > software/administrative simplicity of intel graphics. I do not
25 > play high speed games or otherwise run graphics intensive
26 > applications. Am I correct in believing that Linux (the kernel)
27 > supports (the dell option)
28 > Intel Core i7-5600U Processor, UMA graphics, Smart Card
29 > directly with no extra gentoo package needed?
30
31 All intel cards I've ever seen are supported. My current machine has an
32 AMD co-card, the one before a Nvidia co-card. Both times I just used the
33 Intel hardware, it does eveything I need
36 > 2. Wireless.
37 >
38 > My current home router/wireless-access-point (linksys WRT54G)
39 > supports 10/100 wired and 802.11bg wireless. I have no problems
40 > with this device or our home network, but I could upgrade to a
41 > 1-gigabit version if deemed important.
42 >
43 > Currently I must install net-wireless/broadcom-sta. This has caused
44 > no problems to date, but a wireless chip supported directly by linux
45 > would be preferable.
46
47 Hmm, broadcom. Lots of effort, IMNSHO not worth the effort.
48 >
49 > I would appreciate help choosing among the following dell options
50 > (the prices are about the same).
51 > a. Intel Tri Band Wireless-AC 17265 802.11AC
52 > Wi-Fi + Wi-Gig + BT 4.0 LE Wireless Card
53 > b. Dell Wireless 1707 802.11n Single Band
54 > Wi-Fi + BT 4.0LE Wireless Card
55 > c. Dell Wireless 1560 (802.11ac 2x2, WiFi & BT)
56 > d. Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11AC
57 > Wi-Fi + BT 4.0 LE Wireless Card (2X2)
58
59 "Dell" branded wireless is pot luck what it might actually be under the
60 covers. My current one (class n) is actually a broadcom and needs
61 broadcom-sta (which I can't get to work). Intel wifi cards OTH, seem to
62 Just Work. I recommend you go with an intel card, or swap it out later
63 (they are fairly cheap)
66 > 3. Screen
67 > I am only considering 1920x1080 (best available) with a camera.
68 > a. "Touch" is available for $160.
69 > Are touch screens supported on gentoo/gnome?
70
71 No idea, never used one. I have a tablet and a phone for Touch, and if I
72 *really* want to swipe, I guess there's always that latest Windows
73
74 > b. Some screens (including "touch") are "WiGig capable".
75 > This requires option 2a above (Tri Band Wireless-AC).
76 > Is WiGig valuable and is it easy to administer?
77
78 Never heard of it :-)
82 So on the whole, my experience with higher-end Dell is that hardware is
83 pretty much well-supported across the boards with very few gotchas. The
84 only two exceptions would be wifi cards (cheap to fix) and maybe GPU
85 co-processor (if you are unlucky to get an unsupported cutting edge one
86 and need to wait a bit for Linux support to catch up).
89 Alan McKinnon
90 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com