From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] purchasing a dell laptop
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 16:53:52
1 On Sun, Jun 21 2015, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On 21/06/2015 21:16, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
4 >> I am seriously thinking of updating my dell 6430s laptop purchased 3
5 >> years ago. NYU has an arrangement with dell so that is the only maker
6 >> I am considering. This machine will be essentially gentoo only (I
7 >> configure my computers to dual boot some version of windows for ease
8 >> in dealing with dell support).
9 >>
10 >> The hardest decision is size vs performance, but I know you can't help
11 >> with that. I have pretty much decided on the dell 7450. My questions
12 >> concern three options: Graphics, Wireless, Screen. But would appreciate
13 >> any other advice you have.
14 >
15 > I've used nothing bur Dell laptops for 10 years (currently on #5), and
16 > I've yet to run into any hardware support issues.
17
18 Same here (but 20+ years). However, some friends and my children did
19 have problems. I believe the difference is NYU buys many dells, whereas
20 the friends/children were individual purchasers.
21
22 >> I will definitely get
23 >> * 16GB ram (2 x 8GB)
24 >> * 512GB solid state disk
25 >> * most powerful CPU compatible with the options chosen
26 >>
27 >> 1. Graphics.
28 >> I can afford a high-end graphics co-processor, but prefer the
29 >> software/administrative simplicity of intel graphics. Am I
30 >> correct in believing that Linux (the kernel) supports
31 >> (the dell option)
32 >> Intel Core i7-5600U Processor, UMA graphics, Smart Card
33 >> directly with no extra gentoo package needed?
34 >
35 > All intel cards I've ever seen are supported.
36
37 Good. I will get the Core i7-5600U
38
39 >> 2. Wireless.
40 >>
41 >> I would appreciate help choosing among the following dell options
42 >> (the prices are about the same).
43 >> a. Intel Tri Band Wireless-AC 17265 802.11AC
44 >> Wi-Fi + Wi-Gig + BT 4.0 LE Wireless Card
45 >> b. Dell Wireless 1707 802.11n Single Band
46 >> Wi-Fi + BT 4.0LE Wireless Card
47 >> c. Dell Wireless 1560 (802.11ac 2x2, WiFi & BT)
48 >> d. Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11AC
49 >> Wi-Fi + BT 4.0 LE Wireless Card (2X2)
50 >
51 > Intel wifi cards OTH, seem to Just Work. I recommend you go with an
52 > intel card, or swap it out later (they are fairly cheap).
53
54 OK. I guess I will choose a. over d. above for the (stupid/naive)
55 reason that "tri band is better than dual band".
56
57 >> 3. Screen
58 >> I am only considering 1920x1080 (best available) with a camera.
59 >> a. Are touch screens supported on gentoo/gnome?
60 >
61 > No idea, never used one.
62 >
63 >> b. Is WiGig valuable and is it easy to administer?
64 >
65 > Never heard of it :-)
66
67 OK. I will (shudder) ask dell which 1920x1080 w/ camera screen to get.
68
69 > So on the whole, my experience with higher-end Dell is that hardware is
70 > pretty much well-supported across the boards with very few gotchas. The
71 > only two exceptions would be wifi cards (cheap to fix) and maybe GPU
72 > co-processor (if you are unlucky to get an unsupported cutting edge one
73 > and need to wait a bit for Linux support to catch up).
74
75 I've had similar experiences but very much appreciate the confirmation
76 and your comments.
77
78 allan