From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] purchasing a dell laptop
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 06:26:10
1 On 23/06/2015 18:53, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 21 2015, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 21/06/2015 21:16, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
5 >>> I am seriously thinking of updating my dell 6430s laptop purchased 3
6 >>> years ago. NYU has an arrangement with dell so that is the only maker
7 >>> I am considering. This machine will be essentially gentoo only (I
8 >>> configure my computers to dual boot some version of windows for ease
9 >>> in dealing with dell support).
10
11 [...]
14 >> So on the whole, my experience with higher-end Dell is that hardware is
15 >> pretty much well-supported across the boards with very few gotchas. The
16 >> only two exceptions would be wifi cards (cheap to fix) and maybe GPU
17 >> co-processor (if you are unlucky to get an unsupported cutting edge one
18 >> and need to wait a bit for Linux support to catch up).
19 >
20 > I've had similar experiences but very much appreciate the confirmation
21 > and your comments.
24 One more thing I can add: From observation, I can say that Dell has 2 or
25 more grades of kit they sell:
26
27 1. Cheap shit. You find these in supermarkets and Walmart. It's just as
28 crappy as all the other cheap shit around with the same bargain basement
29 price.
30
31 2. Good stuff like the Precision and XPS range. You tend not to find
32 these at Walmart, and have to go to a proper dealer for them, or your
33 workplace has a scheme to provide them.
34
35 You want category #2. But seeing as you are looking at the i7-5600U and
36 similar, I think you are already in that bracket.
37
38 Just wanted to clarify that :-)
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com