From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE5 stuff and media-libs/mlt conflict
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 20:06:56
1 On 07/01/2016 20:40, Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 16:08:36 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>> Thankfully the KDE5 apps I use all work nicely now, I reckon most of
6 >>>> them grossness has passed.
7 >>> Thanks for the warning, Alan. I'll keep my eye open.
8 >> To add some balance to all of this. I switched to KDE5 in July, when it
9 >> hit ~arch, and it all more or less worked. I did have one fairly serious
10 >> problem with KWin, but it turned out to be something else causing it, and
11 >> only one other person reported the issue on b.g.o.
12 >>
13 >> The transition was a little bumpy with blockers popping up at times, but
14 >> it all seems to have smoothed out now, using the desktop/plasma/systemd
15 >> profile.
20 > Well, I undid everything, moved the files out of /etc/portage, and did
21 > my regular updates. When I logged back in, some things were different.
22 > I don't mean broke different, just different. I sort of lost my
23 > settings on some things it seems and my saved session was a bit weird.
24 > Some apps were open and showed at the bottom but I couldn't get them
25 > where I could see them. It acted like they were hidden, you know when
26 > you click and get it to minimize. Thing is, clicking to get it to come
27 > back didn't work. It's there but not there if you get it.
28 >
29 > Also, the desktop looks funny, as in strange funny. It sorta looks neat
30 > in a way but it is different. I also had to set it back to folder view
31 > since it went to default.
32 >
33 > I'm not quite sure what changed but something did. I'm pretty sure it
34 > had nothing to do with me trying to get KDE5 tho. I had that so that I
35 > could just move the files out and be back where I was. Also, it never
36 > emerged anything. So, it had to be a regular update that did it but not
37 > sure which one.
38 >
39 > The only thing I want to change, I want to make the little icons
40 > smaller. Other than that, it looks "crisper" or "cleaner" in some way
41 > that I can't quite describe. Now to go find that setting. It's in the
42 > control thingy somewhere. I changed it once before.
46 KDE looks different? Probably plasma, it has a distinctive black & white
47 look with blue highlights.
48
49 X display as a whole looks different? I'd need a screenshot
55 Alan McKinnon
56 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com