From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Eapi 6 ?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 18:31:41
1 Howdy,
2
3 I've read snippets that EAPI 6 will provide a mechanism for
4 follks to put patches directly into ebuilds. I'm not certain
5 (some discussion needed) that this will eliminated some ebuilds
6 from my /usr/local/portage development repository.
9 However, now I'm learning and hacking on 2 different bleeding edge
10 technologies. Clusters (mesos, spark etc etc) and Java (maven etc etc).
11 I am but a "follwer" at this time on those two bleeding edge fronts.
12 But codes are release at multiple times during the day/week that I need
13 to test. So, in my limited understanding, EAPI 6 looks absolutely
14 wonderful.
17 So, since I'm only hacking at ebuilds for my own needs (currently
18 not able to produce anything that is not embarrashing) can I
19 start building ebuilds that use EAPI-6? I understand that it
20 is not finalized yet. But, if the user supplied patching is
21 at least workable, I'd rather get busy learning/testing those new
22 EAPI-6 tricks.
25 thoughts and comments and insight are most welcome.
28 James