From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] filesystems
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:30:35
1 On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 07:30 +0100, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > Am Sonntag, 23. November 2008 23:31:30 schrieb William Kenworthy:
3 >
4 > > What I would really like is a file system that would unify these spaces
5 > > and present them to the network as storage space - ideally with
6 > > redundant data storage so one or more machines can dissappear and the
7 > > data is still available.
8 > >
9 > > AFS is not quite what I want (or maybe it is, but it doesn't seem to
10 > > handle transient storage duplication)
11 >
12 > For a non-native speaker, could you explain "transient storage duplication" a
13 > bit more? Because I think AFS may well be what you're looking for, or maybe
14 > its cousin Coda.
15 >
16 > Bye...
17 >
18 > Dirk
21 By transient storage I mean that the data is duplicated across across
22 physical storage spaces so that if a machine goes down, the data is
23 still available. I thought Andrews FS did that, but didnt see when
24 looking at it yesterday.
25
26 BillK