From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mplayer sound issues
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:22:53
1 On 2/28/06, Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I seem to get that error regardless of what I'm playing. I can play
3 > some files, like mp3s with the ao=alsa and that message will still
4 > appear, but it plays anyway.
5
6 Ok, theorizing time. (ie., I have absolute no idea whether this is
7 right or not)
8
9 It sounds like this may be related to the sampling frequency of the
10 generated PCM. If some application (like arts) is using /dev/dsp and
11 programming a specific rate (like 44100Hz), then when another
12 application (like mplayer) wants to generate PCM, it must program a
13 different rate (the wav file in your original message uses a 8000Hz
14 rate). But the card cannot be changed to the 8kHz rate because the
15 original application is still "using" the OSS device.
16
17 If you play through arts, it handles the rate conversions for you, so
18 everything works.
19
20 You can test this by trying "mplayer -srate 44100 -ao arts file.wav".
21 You can try different rates, or carefully examine the output of
22 mplayer with an mp3 to see what rate it is using there.
23
24 One last question: do you have a ~/.asoundrc file, and if so, what is in it?
25
26 -Richard
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list