From: Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mplayer sound issues
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:01:02
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 >On 2/28/06, Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>Opening audio decoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder
7 >>AUDIO: 8000 Hz, 1 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 16000->16000)
8 >>Selected audio codec: [pcm] afm: pcm (Uncompressed PCM)
9 >>==========================================================================
10 >>[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or
11 >>resource busy
12 >>alsa-init: 1 soundcard found, using: default
13 >>alsa: 8000 Hz/1 channels/2 bpf/5460 bytes buffer/Signed 16 bit Little Endian
14 >>AO: [alsa] 8000Hz 1ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
18 >What version of alsa-lib do you have, and do you use the in-kernel
19 >alsa drivers or the alsa-driver package? Which version?
22 I'm using the kernel alsa drivers with the 2.6.15-suspend2-r6 kernel
23 with alsa-lib 1.0.11_rc3 and alsa-headers 1.0.11_rc3.
24
25 >Does anything change if you do "mplayer -ao alsa file.wav"?
28 This is where it's kinda weird. If I use vo=alsa then the .wav files
29 won't play at all. If I use ao=arts, then they work, but skipping
30 around, like fast forwarding or rewinding lags. Like, I'll press the
31 left or right button and then about a second later it will actually
32 rewind or forward. Before I migrated to the modular xorg, when I used
33 the alsa driver it worked fine and it responded immediately when I
34 skipped around.
35
36 >The above "resource busy" error indicates that something is using the
37 >legacy OSS interface. IIRC, older versions of alsa could not share
38 >this interface, and in fact would prevent other applications from
39 >using the sound card at all if something was using this interface.
40 >
41 >Maybe try an "lsof /dev/dsp" to see what is using the old OSS interface...
42 >
43 >-Richard
47 I seem to get that error regardless of what I'm playing. I can play
48 some files, like mp3s with the ao=alsa and that message will still
49 appear, but it plays anyway.
50
51 Also, if I do the 'lsof /dev/dsp' command as you suggested, it only goes
52 to a newline and then just sits there. It seems to do that for any file
53 i use it on. The man page for that program is like a mile long and I
54 don't have time to read through it right now. I'll read it later though.
55
56 Also, I don't know if it's worth mentioning or not, but the whole reason
57 I upgraded to the modular xorg is because it was the only way I could
58 get my mobile intel video card to work with the i810 driver and dri
59 rendering.
60 --
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list