From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Overclocking CPU causes segmentation fault
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:21:16
1 On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Am 23.01.2013 16:35, schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
4 >> On 23/01/13 17:09, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
5 >>> On Wednesday 23 January 2013 07:52:03 PM IST, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
6 >>>> [...]
7 >>>> In my experience, most of the time you can overclock. The issue is
8 >>>> with the user not knowing exactly how to do it. You need to
9 >>>> understand a few things and how they affect each other. It's not just
10 >>>> a knob you can turn.
11 >>>
12 >>> That pretty much applies to me. I don't know much about hardware stuff.
13 >>> Regarding your 1 Ghz overclock, you probably have good components in
14 >>> terms of RAM & SMPS.
15 >>> When I bought this rig in 2008, I knew nothing about good components,
16 >>> blindly trusted local vendor... also internet shopping wasn't advanced
17 >>> here.
18 >>> So pretty much substandard components.
19 >>
20 >> The part that's really important is the mainboard. RAM doesn't
21 >> matter. In my case, I had pretty basic 800MHz DDR2 RAM. Raising the
22 >> FSB would bring it above that, so I changed the DRAM ratio to 1:1, and
23 >> the RAM then ran at only 600Mhz.
24 >>
25 >> That was the starting point to rule out RAM problems. After that, I
26 >> raised FSB but kept the VCore constant until I hit the first
27 >> instabilities. When that happened, I raised VCore a bit. Rinse and
28 >> repeat, until the VCore was still below the maximum recommendation by
29 >> Intel. That happened at 3.4GHz (378MHz FSB * 9 CPU multiplier =
30 >> 3402MHz CPU clock.) The E6600 CPU I got was an average sample.
31 >> Others were running it at 3.6GHz (or even higher with water cooling.)
32 >>
33 >> This was a process that took about 3 days to complete (needs a lot of
34 >> stability testing.) The good thing about those older CPUs was that
35 >> the performance boost I got by OCing wasn't just scaling linearly with
36 >> the CPU frequency. It was scaling *better* than that, because raising
37 >> the FSB also made the mainboard itself perform better and with lower
38 >> latencies.
39 >>
40 > and here we are - the point where the suspension of disbelief ends.
41 >
42 > All you may have gained you threw away with the slower ram - and you are
43 > trying to tell us that your rig was faster?
44 >
45 > You do know that with today's CPUs the CPU is not the bottleneck - the
46 > slow as molasses, no speed bump for 10 years ram is.
47 >
48 > (just look at the internal clock rate of dram chips - and you realize
49 > that ddr1-3 are pretty much the same crap).
52 Volker, in applications speficially tuned to keep their hot data small
53 enough to stay in CPU cache (so, anything with a "frames per second"
54 measurement), overclocking the CPU would still see performance
55 improvements. Cache misses are always painful.
59 :wq