From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading the kernel
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 08:15:09
1 071002 Jed R. Mallen wrote:
2 > Do you guys have a trick that will update a new kernel quickly?
3
4 Copy .config from the previous /usr/src/linux/ to the new one,
5 run 'make xconfig' & tell it to load the .config you copied.
6 That will keep all your previous settings,
7 but allow you to react to new features of the new kernel.
8 'Save' when you're satisfied -- you mb quicker than me at that (smile) --
9 & compile & test the new kernel as usual (I spend c 60 min on configure).
10 I tried 'make oldconfig' & found it a problem
11 because there was no help readily available,
12 whereas 'xconfig' has a whole panel on the screen showing relevant help,
13 while also allowing easy re-use of your previous .config (as above).
14 Of course, always keep >= 1 previous kernel available for emergencies.
18 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
19 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
20 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list