From: Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software for checking CDs and DVDs for errors?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 23:30:02
1 On 12/3/18 9:27 AM, Pouru Lasse wrote:
2 > I've got a bunch of scratched disc-based games (PS2, Xbox 360) that I'd
3 > like to check for errors. Is there any program for Linux that does this?
4 > I found and tried dvdisaster, but it only works for CDs, not
5 > DVDs. Everything else seems to be Windows-only.
6 >
7 > - Lasse
10 For DVDs, I use ddrescue. Keep a log of it as well in case you want to
11 do a second pass or just see where it's puking. Use its blocksize of 2048:
12
13 ddrescue -b 2048 /dev/sr0 dvd.iso ddrescue.log
14
15 dvdbackup comes with some error handling on reads as well where it can
16 skip blocks, see its help output.
17
18 For blurays I'd try ddrescue as well. Blocksize for those is 65536. I
19 think.
20
21 Based on your physical drive / the disc, it might whine or break because
22 of DRM, or you can get weird read errors as well. That's why dvdbackup
23 is best imo since it will auth the drive as well.
24
25 MakeMKV can do its best to backup a disc, but I don't know how well it
26 does at error handling:
27
28 makemkvcon --minlength=0 -r backup --decrypt disc:0 .
29
30 I've got plenty of broken DVDs so I've managed to rescue those okay. If
31 you're trying to encode stuff off of them, there are cases where the
32 encoder can handle it best and read from the disc directly and skip over
33 bad blocks as well.
34
35 Good luck.