From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 15:43:24
1 2008/5/31 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2
3 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
4 > d257c3560805301217q5af4d9c3rc3ea014a012fe04f@××××××××××.com, excerpted
5 > below, on Fri, 30 May 2008 19:17:59 +0000:
6 >
7 > > 2008/5/30 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
8 >
9 > In any case, 4.1 appears to have fixed at least some of the 4.0 blockers,
10 > including the big one here, the lack of multipanel support and
11 > configuration, so unless there's something really stupid like that
12 > missing proxy support (tho it looks like it'll work for me after all),
13 > there's at least a decent chance I'll find it at least minimally usable,
14 > now, enough to remerge it and start the task of customizing it to my
15 > needs and switching my habits to the 4.x methodology, even if I have to
16 > keep parts of KDE3 around for awhile. That's what I had intended to do
17 > with 4.0, but it was just too *broken*, too many now vital but missing in
18 > 4.0 features, to make it work, even for this normally out-in-front
19 > bleeding edge guy who /loves/ many betas. That's why I say 4.0 was only
20 > early tech-preview alpha, not even beta, because betas normally have the
21 > features all there or at least blocked out even if buggy, and 4.0...
22 > didn't! So 4.1's the first real beta, if it even reaches that. It might
23 > still be more a late tech preview alpha. Time will tell.
26 or you could just use the kde4 apps in kde3.5. flameeyes has posted a dirty
27 hack on his blog on how to use kde4 apps from 3.5 environment natively (ie
28 calling them directly from command line without the full path). you'll just
29 need the kdebase-meta package and then you could test them out. just one
30 warning: after installing solid hal would stop mounting stuff on request and
31 you'd need to work the mounting through dolphin. the device manager handles
32 the dolphin calls directly in plasma environment. the thing that is
33 interesting is the ability in plasma to create new workspaces. i think that
34 the zoom out feature of plasma desktop is meant for that and it should work
35 out similar to the leopard workspaces. also the widget exposè i think would
36 work as the osx one, since there's an option to put the widget on a layer
37 external to the desktop. the thing is that after getting out of the layer
38 the widget would stay on the visible desktop. the problems still there are
39 with phonon which doesn't implements enough features yet to be able to port
40 kaffeine and amarok only through phonon, so these packages devs are still
41 doing some extra job on that. still, the desktop has now come to be quite
42 usable.
46 dott. ing. beso