From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] VMWare Workstation install
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 18:02:07
1 On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Tamas Karpati <tkarpati@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Thanks for your toughts. Following your suggestion I'm going
4 > to evaluate VB while experimenting a bit more with WS.
5 > I think I'll let them compete.
6
7 If you're going to consider something new I'd certainly look at KVM as
8 well (libvirt/virt-manager/etc).
9
10 I can't pretend to have done a full-feature comparison between the
11 various options, but the obvious advantage of KVM is that it is in the
12 vanilla kernel and fully open-source. Wrappers like virt-manager give
13 you a workstation-like presentation but all the guts are fully
14 command-line controllable and use standard kernel features. I don't
15 know if it supports snapshotting of running systems, however (ie
16 including RAM/hardware/etc state).
17
18 I don't know what your exact needs are, but obviously being 100% FOSS
19 gives you a lot of options you won't have with any of the proprietary
20 stuff. If for some reason a kernel update breaks it you can complain
21 on lkml and watch it get fixed fast or at the very least get some
22 entertainment as Linus flames somebody to a crisp.
25 Rich