From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: GCC-4.5.2 Has Serious Problems
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 01:24:40
On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 00:58:46 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:

> > I had wondered if this might be an "undefined behavior" optimization bug, >
Well, the amd64 users list may not be the appropriate place to discuss C programming, but the problem here stems from attempting to do things with C that are not supposed to be done with C. Such things are aptly called "tricks" because they stray away from the convention. Ideally, I suppose, for these purposes would be to use assembly language routines mixed into the C code. But this is not as easy as with the "tricks." Anyway, I'm glad I presented this issue. It has definitely improved my understanding. GCC has dozens, if not hundreds, of compile options and I know the actual function of only a small few. Frank Peters