From: Bob Young <byoung@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift - slaveryware)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 20:23:48
1 Ian McCulloch wrote:
2 > On Sat, 30 Sep 2006, Martin Bergstrand wrote:
5 >> Hey guys, this is an interesting debate, but could we please do it someplace
6 >> else? On the forums for example, that way the subscribers of this list don't
7 >> have to wake up to 50+ new off-topic messages from this list.
10 > I agree completely - it would be interesting to see the subscriber stats
11 > for this list; I wouldn't be surprised if it has dropped substantially in
12 > the last couple of days. Certainly if this continues for any longer it
13 > WILL, me included. It isn't that its an uninteresting topic, but it is
14 > COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC!
15 >
16 > Ian McCulloch
17 >
18 I've never understood why people care about off topic threads. It's an
19 *email* list, thus it's reasonable to expect that most people are using
20 an email client or some derivative thereof to read the messages posted
21 to the list. With all modern email clients that I know of, it's
22 absolutely trivial to filter/delete/ignore messages in a specific
23 thread. Given that, it's not like anyone not interested in a particular
24 thread is being forced to read or even *manually* deal with unwanted
25 messages.
26
27 Conversly as long as the thread is continuing at least some of the list
28 members are interested, exactly what harm does it do to allow an off
29 topic thread to die a natural death as all threads eventually do?
30
31 OT threads may violate policy, and that may irritate people who are
32 absolute sticklers for strict adherence to the "rules" but beyond that
33 what real damage or harm does it cause, and is such damage or harm
34 sufficient to justify restricting what some valid list members wish to
35 discuss with each other?
38 Regards
39 Bob Young
40 --