From: Jan Klopper <janklopper@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] High-Availability Howto for Gentoo
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 20:31:45
1 Im running a 5 node gentoo LVS apache cluster.
2 It has full hearthbeat failover (over ip), and ldirectd functionality.
3
4 Im using a tweaked direct route setup in which there are two directors,
5 checkup on each other trough hearthebeat. which redirect packages to 3 other
6 nodes, and localnode.
7 All nodes have a full internet connection though, which allows for phased
8 setup. (no need to setup the whole portage / binary replication thing first.
9 each node can keep himself up-to-date.)
10
11 If we're going to setup a nice wiki tut, il put up my configs aswell.
12 ironically i used a win2k + LVS tutorial to get my system to work as it
13 should.
14
15 The whole concept of all those LVS monkey releases is something i didn't
16 really grasp at first, since gentoo doesn't install the packages like that,
17 but just keeps them all up to dat trough portage, which is very different to
18 what the LVS docs are talking about.
19
20 The one thing im still strugling with is a way to share and replicate a set
21 of stable files, they don't change often, but when they do, each cluster
22 node ought to be updated.
23
24 I had an extra NFS server for this, outside the cluster, connected over
25 local ip's, but the one node i has setup to talk to that (with enough swap
26 space to keep a local cache i figured), crashed on me,making me damn
27 reluctant to try it out on the rest.
28
29 greets
30 Jan