From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Desktop - Proposal
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:49:42
1 James William Dumay <i386@××××××××.org> said:
2
3 > On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 13:14 +0100, dams@×××.fr wrote:
4 >
5 > > James William Dumay <i386@××××××××.org> said:
6 > >
7 > > > Yeah, I sat down and thought about it some more. Heres what I have come
8 > > > up with. I welcome flames, comments and changes to the document.
9 > >
10 > > ok, below are my comments
11 > >
12 > > >
13 > > > Gentoo Desktop
14 > >
15 > > The name cannot be Gentoo Desktop, there is already an official gentoo desktop
16 > > project.
17 >
18 > We can call it what ever we want.
19
20 name is not a problem
23 [...]
24
25 > > >
26 > > > Target Audience
27 > > > ===
28 > > > "Hobbyist" users coming from other distributions, such as RedHat, Mandrake, SuSE, etc.
29 > > > Small to Medium Enterprise Desktop Roll outs
30 > > > Educational Institutions (Universities, Collages, Secondary and Grade
31 > > > Schools)
32 > >
33 > > the goals are missing : is it just coolness, or security? polishness?
34 > > professionalism? ease of use? etc. redhat is polished, professional, but not
35 > > the easiest to use, for instance.
36 > The goal is to make the modification so simple that my grandmother can use it and as well as it seeming proffessional and easy to use.
37
38 please don't talk about grand mothers. We need realistic goals.
39 you won't be able to target grandmother use. The only computer a grandmother
40 might be able to use is imho a mac with macos. No other OS has enough ease of
41 use/integration to be able to compete.
42
43 So let's take as goal : I install gentoo, and I want a perfectly integrated
44 desktop in less than 30 min, with no configuration.
47 > > >
48 > > > Desktop Environments - Why GNOME?
49 > > > ===
50 > >
51 > > I'll cut the rest : for me gnome is NOT the dominant desktop environment. KDE is
52 > > a lot more widely used, more powerfull, more integrated, has more extensions.
53 > >
54 > > [...]
55 > Its also got most of the major companies backing it aswell as the best
56 > accessabile and inclusive applications around.
57
58 hmmm, well, nautilus integrates badly with mozilla and soffice. epiphany and
59 gnome office are not competitive with koffice and konqueror. metacity is even
60 not integrated as well as kwm.
61 But well this is troll for now. Let try to agree on the concept/goal/need first
64 > > >
65 > > > Gentoo Desktop - The First Step
66 > > > ===
67 > > >
68 > > > Milestone 1
69 > > > - Report on the Applcation and Services needed on Desktop System
70 > > > - System Services - Hardware Detection Services, File/Print Sharing, Printing, etc
71 > > > - Applcations - Office Productivity Tools, Internet Tools, Gaming, etc
72 > > > - Decide on the appropriate virtuals and USE flags needed for user customization of the desktop.
73 > > > - Create gentoo-desktop-x86-2004.0 profile based on the decisions made.
74 > > > - Build system with new profile and report on system usability from an end users perspective, noting specific issues to be discuss and delt with in Milestone 2.
75 > >
76 > > this is a good way to do it. Maybe we should decide before that,
77 > >
78 > > - do we need/want that
79 > Well, if this project was a sucess and went ahead, this could allow
80 > Gentoo to become a prefered and major platform for educational and
81 > enterprise computing.
82 >
83 > > - how should it be integreated/handled by gentoo
84 > For the project itself (initally), we keep it localised as a gdr-project
85 > untill we have ran some trials on the system structure.
86 > As for infransture, we keep the customised desktop componenet away from
87 > the main tree, in its own cvs rep.
88 >
89 > If/when the project comes more mainstream, we can offer a stage/livecd
90 > along with the rest of gentoos releases.
91 >
92 > We should also release as often as the mainline gentoo releases to keep
93 > version numbering in sync as well as the improvments in the mainline.
94 >
95 > Comments and suggestions?
96
97 How should we decide what is good for the user? What choice to do? All this
98 goes against the gentoo moto : "All of the sudden, Larry the Cow was in
99 control".
100
101 Finding all the point of configuration, and customization takes a lot of
102 time/ressource, and it can be done properly only when the release of the main
103 gentoo is out. S it's difficult to release on the same deadline, unless it's
104 buggy
105
106 I have a solution to this problems, but I need more thinking, and I'll write a
107 new mail
111 dams
114 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list