From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:31:15
On Wednesday 06 October 2004 00:58, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 October 2004 22:44, Donnie Berkholz wrote: > > Since I can't try everything, I need some feedback from you guys. > > What already does a great job at this? What stands out in your minds > > as being forgettable because of the lack of set-up effort? > > I did not look, if the developer documentation is improved or what the > status of eclass menu functions for .desktop files is now, but I know > that we're not doing the best job there. I really don't care much, > since it is a minor issue, but it is a inconvenience to users, updating > an ebuild and having none or more than one entry for an application in > the menu. Would be good to find someone, who is interested in this. It > shouldn't be hard, just boring work.
Actually the new kde and gnome releases both support the same menu files IN THE SAME LOCATION. Those files need to be in /usr/share/applications, and follow the freedesktop menu specification. The main difference with "traditional" kde .desktop files is that a Categories entry must be present. With current releases just putting a file there "just works".
> > On the other side, what is really hard to configure? Where can we > > improve how we set things up when programs are emerged? > > Do we have something like "mime-config"?
We indeed might want to have some way to synchronize file associations between gnome and kde. That will probably be worked on by the respective projects though. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net