From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 22:38:00
1 On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 5:27 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The difference would be that you, in your first example, can demonstrate
4 > some actual abuse. In the latter case you're talking about differences
5 > of opinions of how things are run, which quickly turns into censorship.
8 I don't see how any of this can "turn into censorship" - it IS
9 censorship from the outset. That is what moderation is. If the topic
10 of the list isn't for ranting about how horrible Gentoo is and why
11 nobody should bother to join the community, then such a post is
12 off-topic. We either allow it (in which case we'll continue to have
13 lots of infighting and a generally toxic environment), or we don't (in
14 which case we ARE censoring the lists).
15
16 Obviously things work more nicely when people censor themselves, but
17 not everybody does.
18
19 Honestly, I'm not really a big fan of even on-topic posts from people
20 who have caused a lot of harm to others in private. I'm not sure
21 which is the lesser evil but do we really want a community where we
22 tolerate absolutely any kind of abuse of other members?
25 Rich