From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Drop EAPI=0 requirement for system packages.
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 18:10:03
1 El vie, 19-10-2012 a las 14:51 -0300, Alexis Ballier escribió:
2 > On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 19:21:52 +0200
3 > Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > [...]
6 >
7 > > What I am trying to say is that, if we agree latest eapi is
8 > > technically better, we need to try to get it used when possible (I
9 > > mean, when, for example, eclasses are ported) for a "QA" reasoning.
10 >
11 > i think we all agree that there are improvements in newer eapis.
12 >
13 > what about filling bugs, preferably with patches, when such
14 > improvements are really needed ? like what was done for nuking
15 > built_with_use.
16 >
17 > arguing to death if 'should use latest eapi' should become 'must use
18 > latest eapi' will never get things done :)
22 Because it will add even more work, I mean:
23 - I catch a package using and old eapi and, then, still not passing
24 --disable-silent-rules option. => First problem, I need to notice that
25 package, there are packages I simply won't notice because I don't merge
26 them ever or, simply, I don't notice that option is not being used.
27
28 - I need to report a bug per each package using old eapi => I would need
29 to report a ton of bugs for bumping eapi that, probably, I could have
30 directly bumped myself if I would be allowed to (I already do it in my
31 maintained packages and maintainer-needed ones, but not for others as
32 maybe their maintainers dislike...)
33
34 - Maintainer need to check that bug and commit the change or reject the
35 bump (in that case we would be blocked if maintainer doesn't bump it for
36 some strange reason). There are also some devs really slow to reply.
37
38 - This effort needs to be done again and again in the future with newer
39 eapis, while could be "automatically" done on next bump by maintainer.