From: Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Lastrite: app-pda/libopensync and reverse dependencies
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 18:45:08
1 On 02/10/11 19:02, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 >> Sorry but it really matters very little whether maintainer acks at all, *if
3 >> the package fails to build*.
4
5 I don't agree with that - QA doesn't give anyone a silver bullet for killing
6 whatever you want (or whatever you think should die). Maintainer must be
7 *always* notified/pinged/mailed/im'ed/phoned/poked when his package is going to
8 be masked & removed, if he's responsive then getting his ACK on the matter
9 shouldn't be a problem, if not... at least you've tried.
10
11 >> We're not talking about a single problem with a single package.
12 >
13 > Yes, you are completely right regarding the ebuilds. I do not dispute at all
14 > that masking them is a correct way of action.
15 >
16 > However we are talking about interaction of human beings here.
17 >
18 > What I was trying to say: _If_ you have coordinated this with the maintainer,
19 > it should be worth the effort to add two words to the email just to mention
20 > this. It would even strengthen your argumentative position!
21 >
22 > In general, we have had the discussion a few times here already whether
23 > briefness/conciseness or politeness/additional information is more important.
24 > I agree that this may be a cultural thing. But then, normally the consensus
25 > is to rather err on the side of caution...
26
27 It's usually better to be overly verbose in such cases, so yes: if maintainer
28 said it's ok then please mention that in mask message - it's just few keystrokes
29 more.
32 Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xF6A80E46
33 desktop-misc, java, vim, kernel, python, apache...