From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resolve build time default editor dependency.
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 04:38:24
1 Anatoly Shipitsin wrote:
2 >
3 > Ah, so this happens when no package provides $(which vi)? Then we
4 > should default to something that is universally available.
7 > Check fcron configure.in <http://configure.in>. Configure get editor
8 > from enviroment parameter EDITOR it not set by default vi.
9 >
10 > --with-editor=/bin/nano would do fine. I already CC'd bsd@ on the bug
11 > to figure out if nano is part of their defaults, but it probably does
12 > not matter because BSD does have $(which vi) AFAIK.
15 > This solution used in sudo. But with fcron we need set DEPEND
16 > app-editors/nano instead virtual/editor
17 >
18 > If this is really too much trouble we could perhaps have it default to
19 > --with-editor="$(which less)"? ;-)
22 > it's really much trouble. Without editor fcron ebuild will broken.
25 So USE_EXPAND $Editor and use the flags to figure out what the default
26 editor should be. Or just set EDITOR so that when fcron builds it finds
27 the editor you used. You can always emerge fcron with EDITOR=nano and
28 then unmerge nano and claim fcron is 'broken'. I think most people
29 wouldn't care though.
30
31 The only problem currently is that EDITOR is set in /etc/profile (not
32 /etc/profile.env) so if you use sudo to emerge fcron, EDITOR will get
33 stripped from the environment, causing this problem. Then again I'd say
34 thats a sudo configuration problem, not necessarily a build problem.
35 --
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list