From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Step on my toes, please.
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 14:54:08
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 3 Nov 2016 11:15:07 +0100 Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
4 > Hey guys,
5 >
6 > Every other day on IRC, I see people arguing about touching each
7 > others packages, despite our policies against it.
8
9 We don't have policies against it, we do have the policy regulating
10 it. See section "Touching other developers ebuilds" in the
11 devmanual:
12 https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-maintenance/index.html
13
14 So this is OK to touch stuff of other people if:
15 - bug is created;
16 - no response after 2 weeks + ping + 2 weeks
17 - this is not @system or other critical stuff
18
19 > (Sometimes it's even
20 > me who's doing the touching!) My instinctive reaction is always,
21 > "can't everybody calm down and be happy somebody is doing your work
22 > for you?" The answer to this question is, of course, that it depends
23 > who the developer is and how competent you are.
24 >
25 > So, nothing new here. I don't want to bikeshed about it. Business as usual.
26 >
27 > I thought I'd do something loose and informal to rectify the problem.
28 > See my package-policy.txt on my developer space:
29 >
30 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~zx2c4/package-policy.txt
31
32 It is likely that nobody will read this file. If you want to allow
33 people to modify your stuff faster than the policy above says, put
34 this somewhere in ebuilds as a comment. If you want to deny people
35 to touch your stuff when they are within the rules, you can't do
36 that (e.g. if you will go AWOL, your packages will still need care).
37
38 Best regards,
39 Andrew Savchenko