From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Agostino Sarubbo <ago@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] stabilizing libraries without testing reverse deps
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 02:41:28
1 On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 09/30/2013 12:54 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
3 >> Am Sonntag, 29. September 2013, 23:41:03 schrieb hasufell:
4 >>> It seems this happens more frequently these days, so I'd like to
5 >>> remind people to check stable reverse deps before stabilizing a
6 >>> library, especially when this is a non-maintainer stablereq.
7 >>>
8 >>> Arch teams do not test them, so this is the business of the
9 >>> maintainer or the dev who requested stabilization.
10 >>
11 >> Arch testing includes testing of reverse deps. If that's not the
12 >> case, arch teams are not doing their job.
15 > I'd have to search the irc logs, but afair I was told so by ago.
16 >
17 > CCing him if I am wrong.
18
19 If you aren't wrong, that might be why Ago is about the only one
20 stabilizing libraries... :)
21
22 It probably makes sense for arch teams to test a few reverse
23 dependencies as the FAQ suggests. If we want them all tested, then it
24 would make a lot more sense to have a tinderbox or other automated
25 testing tools of some sort. Even then, we won't get much more than
26 compile testing, or whatever test suites the packages happen to come
27 with.
28
29 I haven't really seen any sign of widespread breakage though. I'm
30 sure some issues slip through, but short of having automated testing I
31 doubt we'll ever do better than that.
32
33 Rich