From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resolve build time default editor dependency. (was: How get ebuild provider virtual/category.)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 04:45:26
1 On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:20:09 +0500
2 "Anatoly Shipitsin" <norguhtar@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Without --with-editor fcrom configure get editor from enviroment
5 > parameter EDITOR.
6 > This is wrong see bug 149376.
7
8 You mean I ought to go read the bug I referred to a few times in the
9 message you are responding to? I did. In fact, I wrote a lot of the
10 comments there. I am CC'd on that bug. I even recorded the original
11 complaint on that bug stating that the ebuild should not rely on the
12 environment to find a value for EDITOR. I might say I care about the
13 issue. :)
14
15 As I recorded on that bug, fcron's build system sets it to a default
16 of /usr/bin/vi unless you set the --with-editor option. There's nothing
17 wrong with that. It just means that running crontab will fail if you do
18 not set EDITOR after it installs, which is what /etc/rc.conf sets to a
19 system-wide default.
20
21 fcron *always* uses EDITOR from the environment when running crontab, no
22 matter what you pass to --with-editor at configure time. Consider it a
23 feature.
24
25 Anyway, all this is already documented on the bug you mentioned. I do
26 not see any need to cover this ground again and again. A
27 simple ./configure --help should really help you find out why not
28 setting --with-editor fixes the problem I brought up on that bug, which
29 then got turned into this huge kludge (virtual/editor) to fix a
30 cosmetic problem, IMHO.
33 Kind regards,
34 JeR
35 --