From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Standardise the variable for including eclasses only once
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 09:26:12
1 Hi all,
2 Several of our eclasses use a mechanism that prevents them from being
3 inherited more than once. Some eclasses test for a special value [1]:
4
5 ___ECLASS_ONCE_EUTILS="recur -_+^+_- spank"
6
7 while others simply assign 1 and test for a non-empty variable [2]:
8
9 _GIT_R3=1
10
11 The problem with the name of the former variable is that function and
12 variable names starting with __ (two underscores) are reserved for
13 package manager use [3], so the variable should be renamed. We can
14 take this as an occasion to standardise the variable's name and value.
15
16 Since names like _USER or _PAM look a little dangerous, I suggest
17 _<eclassname>_ECLASS for the variable's name.
18
19 I have no strong preference for the variable's value. Is testing for
20 a non-empty value sufficient? Then we should assign something simple
21 (like "1"). If not, any string that is sufficiently random (like the
22 one used in eutils) should be good.
23
24 Ulrich
27 [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/74303/focus=74305