From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] On the usefulness of eclass changelog
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:27:22
1 On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 18:39:44 -0600
2 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
3 [...]
4 > > The file is pointless if not everyone is using it. I've offered to
5 > > remove the file before, and I'm reoffering to do so now.
6 >
7 > It's pointy enough for most uses. Let's keep it that way.
8
9 I would like to know what are those uses. Here are my thoughts about
10 changelogs:
11
12 We have cvs logs, cvsweb, etc. So what is the value added from
13 changelogs?
14 Well, those logs are per-file as far as I know, and since a new version
15 of a package means a new .ebuild file, keeping track of changes to
16 packages is painful without a changelog which is global to the whole
17 package. Even if we have all the needed information in the cvs log,
18 changelogs for packages are definitely useful.
19 Now for eclasses the situation is different: I want to know what has
20 recently changed in foo.eclass, what is the fastest way? Search through
21 a changelog file with dozens of absolutely unrelated information, or
22 run cvs log/go to sources.gentoo.org ? I tend to do the latter and
23 find eclass changelogs completely useless.