From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: stabilization policies
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 16:37:01
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 08/21/2013 05:13 AM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 12:32:35 +0400
6 > Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o> wrote:
7 >
8 >> 21.08.2013 12:13, Tom Wijsman пишет:
9 >>> Recruiting shows to be a hard task; so, the suggestions I am doing
10 >>> are assuming that that doesn't work out. In which case, I wonder
11 >>> what "by some other ways" you would think of...
12 >>
13 >> Dropping some keywords to unstable on minor arches.
14 >
15 > If we grow (like you said below), then doing less seems like a decision
16 > that we shouldn't take; it is rather about "doing it different" to use
17 > our resources in a better way. Crowd sourcing users is an option here...
18 >
19 >> And about recruiting, it is the only way we can keep moving with
20 >> getting distro, which makes bigger and bigger all the time.
21 >
22 > Yes, but apart from recruiting you can make the resources used better;
23 > if the current way of using our resources isn't sufficient, we can
24 > improve that as well. Improving both is going to make the difference.
25 >
26 >> I would have joined recruiters unless i knew how difficult job they
27 >> are doing.
28 >
29 > Yes, I am interested in both mentoring and recruiting and I need to
30 > contact them again; but I do not really intend to point at "recruiters"
31 > here or how hard that is, what I intend to point at with recruiting is
32 > finding those users that are willing to learn to write better ebuilds
33 > and are willing to become a Gentoo Developer. They are hard to find;
34 > and in order for them to be found, a mentor has to find them somewhere.
35 >
36 > Came across three types of people already trying to find a mentee:
37 >
38 > 1. The first one doesn't want to go through the amount of time it takes;
39 > this depends a bit on the queue, but it can take months.
40 >
41 > 2. The second one's interest to become a Gentoo Developer depends from
42 > time to time; so, tries to start over and over to become one.
43 >
44 > 3. The third one writes a lot of ebuilds (and has an overlay that
45 > looks like a gold mine), but there is a language barrier that keeps
46 > the user from contributing; so, we take things slowly instead...
47 >
48 > 4. The fourth one leaves a message on IRC and quits before you return.
49 >
50 > 5. ...
51 I know we are a little OT here but the fifth type of recruit is someone
52 who is very excited, very dedicated, and completely unable to find a
53 mentor. That is where I was for a long time, no one seemed to have the
54 time to mentor me. Personally I think that is a big issue in the growth
55 of gentoo, if we all take a little time out to be mentors there will be
56 more gentoo devs and we will get more done.
57
58 - -ZC
59 >
60 > So, recruiting in the terms of "finding recruits" appears to be hard.