From: Peter Alfredsen <loki_val@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for April 23
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 17:12:07
1 On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 12:21:55 -0400
2 Thomas Anderson <gentoofan23@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Why are we trying to get rid of static libraries again? I have not
5 > seen any compelling reason to remove libraries that may be useful to
6 > our users. Perhaps I've missed some discussion(in which case, I'd
7 > love to read it), but this seems like an unnecessary complexity.
8
9 I am a user. I don't want them. The current situation where qa@g.o
10 requires .a files to be installed is just ghastly. A policy with no
11 good reason whatsoever, other than "the ancients did it this way, so
12 shall we."
13
14 TBH, i see more reasons for splitdebug and -ggdb being defaults than
15 I do for static libs. And even then, I'd want a way to turn it off.
16
17 A reasonable default would be --disable-static. Then libs that have
18 in-tree consumers of their static libs could then make a use-flag, users
19 who need them could use EXTRA_ECONF="--enable-static".
20
21 But that's not what I'm after. For now I just want a way to turn .a
22 generation off. At the moment 500MB of prime space on /usr/lib64 is
23 being used by .a files. That's about 450MB more than is needed (last I
24 checked).
25
26 /loki_val