From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:17:07
1 On 08/23/10 19:26, Olivier Crête wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 17:05 +0200, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
3 >> Le lundi 05 juillet 2010 à 08:57 +0000, Duncan a écrit :
4 >> [lots of stuff about bashisms and posix]
5 >>> So let's stabilize OpenRC and be done with it, and /then/ we can debate
6 >>> where we want to go from there.
7 >>>
8 >>
9 >> YES, let's get it stable.
10 >>
11 >> However please consider not re-adding bashisms and/or not make it less
12 >> POSIX shell compliant than it already is at light speed. It is a great
13 >> thing that openrc tries to achieve and allows more use of openrc than
14 >> basic desktop/server gentoo usage (think embedded and other distros).
15 >> At least one other distro did this move a while ago (debian) and I don't
16 >> think they will go back. Seeing they are also moving to a dependency
17 >> based init system, they probably could just run a fork of openrc (for
18 >> their init scripts are not exactly compatible with what we do).
19 >
20 > Other distributions are going one step further and are going for
21 > shell-free boot. We should follow that lead.
22 >
23 That sounds like a really confused bad idea to me.
24 At some point you will have to execute a program with a pre-setup
25 environment and passing some arguments.
26
27 You could, of course, hack that together manually. It tends to be quite
28 a bit of work to get everything set up right and it's lots of code
29 you'll have to maintain.
30
31 Or you just let a shell handle it. Does most of the things
32 automatically, has a pretty low memory and startup overhead, and it
33 tends to be quite human-readable.
34
35 ... why would I want to remove a stable, efficient, known-good solution
36 that does what you'd expect it to do and replace it with a new thingy
37 that doesn't provide all the features, is harder to debug etc. etc.? I
38 just don't see any *advantage* from it apart from saying "OMG HAZ NEW
39 FEATRUES" :)
40
41 (and OpenRC is by far the fastest init script manager I've seen.
42 Performance is really not a good argument against it in this case ...)