From: donnie berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:33:55
1 Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 10:13:32PM -0500, Aron Griffis wrote:
3 >> As Jason mentioned, putting reasonable defaults into make.defaults
4 >> accomplishes #1. The default might even be ACCEPT_LICENSES='*', in
5 >> which case modification in make.conf would need to be something like
6 >> ACCEPT_LICENSES='-* GPL-1 GPL-2' (which then accomplishes #2)
7 >
8 > I might be just awake, but this idea sparkles in my eyes with a "wow"
9 > subtitle. It is a great idea, and even though it has some rough edges
10 > (for instance we probably shouldn't accept all licenses per default --
11 > you never know what the future might bring) and can be extended (kinda
12 > virtual-like, such as ACCEPT_LICENSES="freelicenses" which would embody
13 > all known free licenses) it is certainly something to consider.
14 >
15 > Is this the first time this popped up? If not, is there any progress
16 > into creating a draft patch? Or a GLEP?
17
18 I think we should accept all the licenses by default except the ones for
19 which the ACCEPT_LICENSE variable originally existed (the id games ones),
20 since users must be forced to read and agree to those. This would keep the
21 change seamless for the user unless said user wishes to change things.
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list