From: Eugenia Loli-Queru <eloli@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: faure@×××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE2/3 - KOffice problems (a bit more explanation)
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 04:30:29
1 Thank you for your reply,
2 KDM is now working as advertised. :)
3
4 However, about the KOffice problem. I found what was wrong and I am not sure
5 that there is a fix though...
6
7 So, the whole problem is because KDE 3 was installed prior to the KDE
8 2-libs. You see, I installed Gentoo on Friday and when I emerged KDE, it
9 emerged KDE 3 by default. When two days later I decided that I wanted
10 KOffice (and this will be the case for a lot of Gentoo users), it emerged
11 Office 1.1.1 and the KDE 2 libs that it needed in order KOffice to run.
12
13 HOWEVER, because the KDE 2 was installed afterwards, the /etc/profile.env
14 was FIRST loading in its several KDE enviromental variables /usr/kde/3/bin
15 and /lib and *then* the /usr/kde/2/bin etc etc
16 Because of this, it resulted KDE 3 to think that its user-home directory is
17 the ~/.kde instead of the ~/.kde3 (which already existed btw before I
18 installed KOffice with the KDE 2 libs). So, we got KDE 3 to overwrite KDE
19 2's stuff under ~/.kde. Therefore, I couldn't run ANY of the KOffice
20 applications!!
21
22 Now, what of course I did, was to edit the /etc/profile.env and put the
23 variables in the right order. First load the KDE 2 paths, and then the KDE 3
24 ones. Then, I had to DELETE my ~/.kde directory and THEN run the
25 /usr/kde/2/kbuildsycoca script, which re-creates the MIME stuff under
26 ~/.kde. Now, I had KOffice running. However, the KDE 3 applications were
27 going bezerk now. So, I had to reboot, so I could put things in a straight
28 order and have the KDE 2 and KDE 3 apps to use the right dirs. HOWEVER,
29 after I rebooted, the /etc/profile.env was REVERTED to its previous state,
30 before I edited it. WHY is that?? This way, I can never run KOffice and KDE
31 3 on the same time!!
32
33 Please find a fix for this, I bet a lot of gentoo users will get onto this
34 problem.
35
36 Thank you,
37 Eugenia
40 > > Also, KOffice just DOES NOT work with Gentoo when KDE 3 is installed
41 >prior
42 > > to KDE 2. I would highly appreciate if you have a fix for this:
43 > >
44 > > eugenia $ kspread
45 > > koffice (lib kofficecore): ERROR: Couldn't find the native MimeType in
46 > > kspread's desktop file. Check your installation !
47 > >
48 > > This happens for all the users, including root.
49 > > I tried to find info about the error on the net, and some people
50 >suggested
51 > > to delete the ~/.kde dir or the ~/.kde/share/apps and then run the
52 > > 'kbuildsycoca' script to rebuild the MIME types. NO JOY. None of the
53 >KOffice
54 > > 1.1.1 apps work. :(
55 > >
56 > > Thank you,